Try to keep your prayers fresh. If you repeat the same words again and again, they lose their meaning – a prayer grows stale. ~ The Kotzker Rebbe zt”l
Some Practical Suggestions:
- Slow down and focus on one paragraph per day or per week. Read the English and any commentaries on it to better understand it. Really own that tefilah and then move on to the next one.
- During the chanzan’s repetition of shemona esrei, try closing your eyes and focusing on the words as the chazan says them as if you are in the middle of your own private shemona esrei and answer amein to each beracha. This can be a very holy experience when done correctly.
- Try the previous suggestion, but instead of closing your eyes, follow along with your finger on the place.
- Try using a different siddur. There are people that purchase new siddurim each year to keep things fresh and it really does work.
- Remember that there is much more to prayer than just that which is written in the siddur. Don’t be afraid to just talk to Hashem in your own words. There is nothing greater. It will take you to a whole new level.
I hope this helps. Have a wonderful Shabbos!